The Bible has a lot to say about love—the word “love” is mentioned nearly 500 times in the New King James version of the Bible. Love is shown to be selfless and forgiving, from the passages about love from God to those concerning love for others to expressions of love between a man and a woman. Here are 10 Bible quotes on love (taken from the New King James Version), starting with a classic that describes what how love is acted out in day-to-day life.
10 Bible Quotes on Love
1. “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” – I Corinthians 13:4-7
2. “But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.” – I John 3:17-18
3. “And above all things have fervent love for one another, for ‘love will cover a multitude of sins.’” – I Peter 4:8
4. “Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins.” – Proverbs 10:12
5. “My beloved is mine, and I am his.” – Song of Solomon 2:16a
6. “Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it. If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised.” – Song of Solomon 8:7
7. “Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another.” – Romans 12:9-10
8. “Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, ‘Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?’
“Jesus said to him, ‘”You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”’” – Matthew 22:35-59
9. “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” – John 13:34
10. “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” – John 15:13
These 10 Bible quotes on love from the Bible are just a snapshot about what the Bible says about love. Scripture contains a wealth of practical advice on loving others the way God loves us.